Event Planning Tips
Event Planning Tips
When planning for your next event, consider gathering some essential details that may help to make your event a success.
- What is the purpose of the event?
- What type of event would you like to hold?
- Does the event achieve your or your organization’s goal?
- What type of learning or education purpose does the conference serve?
Plan a Budget
Consider some of these costs that your event may need.
- Rental of venue and equipment
- Promotional materials
- Photography and videography
Date & Location
When considering the timing of your event, plan for your event as far in advance as possible.
- Select a preferred date, but also be sure to consider an alternate date.
- Select a time that will work best for your participants and intended audience.
- What kind of space will serve your event best?
- What equipment do you need?
- If your event is outdoors, do you have a contingency plan in case of inclement weather?
- How do you plan on serving food?
- Will you be serving alcohol?
- Do any of your important participants have special dietary requirements?
- Create an event agenda. An agenda can include
- A breakdown of the event by time
- Speakers/presenters with their topics
- Breakout rooms
- Will guests need to register or check in? How will your event conduct check-ins?
- Do you plan on charging admission? How will you be collecting funds?
- Do you have a main speaker or MC?
- Will you need to write a script to thread your whole event together?
- Does your event include “photo opportunities” for important moments?
- Does your event have any minors?
- Does your event need directional or informational signage?
- Do any of your guests have special accessibility requirements?
- Do your guests need name badges or tent cards?
- What AV equipment do you need?
- PA Systems
- Videography services
- Do you require professional AV staffing?
- What is your event’s primary message that you will want to communicate to your intended audience?
- How do you plan to communicate and promote your event?
- social media
- digital signage
- Does your event need programs or informational packets?
Transportation & Parking
- Will your guests need transportation to the event?
- Will you need to inform your guests of parking permit fees?
- Do you need to staff the event with parking attendants
- Are any of your guests flying in? Do they have transportation arranged to get from the airport to the venue?