Filming and Photography on the UCI Campus

Student Center and Event Services is the University’s coordinating point for on campus shooting such as feature films, commercials, stills, and other media. News and documentary reporting, however, are coordinated by the Office of Media Relations. Student Center & Event Services is your resource for the University’s policy regarding filming on campus property and will assist you with all the necessary arrangements for your film or photography shoot.

Steps to a Successful Film or Photography Shoot

  • #1

    Review the Policy and Guidelines for Filming and Photography on the UC Irvine Campus

    Sec. 900-30:
    Policy on Filming and Photography on the UC Irvine Campus
     Sec. 900-31:
    Guidelines for Filming and Photography on the UC Irvine Campus

  • #2

    Contact a Conference and Event Specialist at 949.824.5252 regarding all your film and photography needs or email

  • #3

    Select an appropriate date and location with your Conference & Event Specialist.

  • #4

    Obtain a cost estimate, apply for a film permit and sign the contract (if applicable).

  • #5

    Make required payments and deposit prior to commencement of the shoot.

  • #6

    With the assistance of your Conference & Event Specialist, conduct your shoot.

  • #7

    Handle any remaining balances that are billed to you.

Filming FAQs

Q: How much notice can I give before scouting?
A: Please call the UC Irvine Student Center and Event Services office to schedule a scout. Depending on the number of locations, we will need between two and five working days to schedule a scout.

Q: Where can I film?
A: Filming is allowed in most quads, exteriors of most buildings, empty classrooms, hallways, auditoriums, sidewalks and streets. Locations will be approved on a case-by-case basis and approval is contingent on the Academic Calendar and on the availability of the specific location.

Q: What locations are restricted?
A: Filming of the following is not allowed:

  • Words, names, images, symbols and devices associated with UC Irvine
  • The UC Irvine Anteater or any representation of the UC Irvine Anteater
  • Health and medical facilities
  • Faculty and staff residential housing areas
  • Certain research laboratories

Q: Do I need script approval from the University?
A: A film permit cannot be issued without University approval of a general script or storyboard. A general script or storyboard must be submitted in advance for consideration.

Q: What if I receive a parking citation while filming on campus?
A: Parking citations received during filming will not be rescinded by the University. Please follow normal procedures to contest all parking citations. The instructions on how to contest are written on the back of the citation.

Q: Can I bring my own caterer?
A: The production company is allowed to bring in its own caterer to most locations on campus. However, the caterer must be a UCI approved caterer.

Q: I am making a low budget feature. Is there a discount?
A: While we agree that your film project is important, UC Irvine is non-profit and generally cannot discount any rates.

Q: Can I film stock footage of the campus?
A: No. Stock footage must follow the Filming and Photographing on Campus, policy 900-30.

 Talk to Us

We are here to help answer your questions and concerns.

Call Us at 949.824.5252

Monday – Friday · 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Email Us